Microsoft announced the Xbox One will no longer be compatible with older games after it’s latest update, which is slated to arrive next month. Microsoft says this move was required in order for the company to focus on providing backwards compatibility because it has become too expensive and difficult to manage game releases across multiple consoles.
Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox One backwards compatibility update will be its last. The announcement was made during a recent financial briefing by Microsoft CFO Amy Hood and is in response to both gamers’ pleas for more games with support, as well as developers wanting stability moving forward.
Microsoft has confirmed that the “xbox backwards compatibility” will be the last one. The company says that it is going to focus on newer games and apps for its newest console, the Xbox One X.
Microsoft conducted a 20th-anniversary event today, reflecting on the company’s achievements over the last two decades and announcing the addition of 70+ older Xbox games to the Xbox Backward Compatibility library. However, according to Microsoft, this is the last update we’ll receive.
According to a new Xbox Wire blog post published today, Peggy Lo, Xbox’s compatibility program head, stated that the company’s ability to add new titles to the BC catalog has hit its limit.
“While we will continue to work on maintaining and enriching the art form of games, owing to licensing, legal, and technological restrictions, we have reached the limit of our capacity to add new games to the library from the past,” Peggy Lo stated.
“The community’s dedication and comments made this latest and last addition of 70+ titles to the backwards compatibility program feasible.”
“The backwards compatibility team partnered with the original designers to preserve hundreds of games from over four generations of Xbox,” Peggy Lo adds.
Despite this, Microsoft added more than 70 games to the Back Combilibity library today, including Blood on the Sand by 50 Cent, The Burning Earth from Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Conan. The whole list may be seen below.
Microsoft is the source.
The Xbox Backward Compatibility Catalog will include almost 70 games.
- 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
- The Galaxy’s Aces
- Advent Has Arrived
- Adventure Time: The Nameless Kingdom’s Secret
- Do You Think You’re Smarter Than a 5th Grader? Make the Cut
- Wakfu Islands are a group of islands off the coast of Japan.
- Lego The Lord of the Rings is a fantasy novel series written by Tolkien.
- Max Payne is a character in the film Max Payne
- Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a sequel to Max Payne.
- Max Payne 3 is a sequel to Max Payne.
- Ninjas in miniature
- Mortal Kombat is a fighting game developed by Capcom.
- Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is a game that pits Mortal Kombat against the DC Universe.
- ATV vs. MX Alive
- Untamed MX vs. ATV
- Munch’s Oddysee is a strange universe created by the artist Edvard Munch.
- Bikini Samurai Squad (Onechanbara)
- Otogi: The Demon Myth
- Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors is a sequel to Otogi.
- The Attire
- Kaloki X Outpost
- Arcade version of Quake
- Realms of Ancient War (R.A.W.)
- Red Dead Revolver is a video game published by Rockstar Games.
- Operation Raccoon City is a Resident Evil game.
- Ridge Racer 6 is a six-person racer.
- Risen 2: Dark Waters is a sequel to Risen.
- The Ages of Rock
- Sacred 2: The Fallen Angel is a sequel to the film Sacred.
- Normandy’s Hidden Weapons
- Skate 2
- Underpants Slam, SpongeBob SquarePants!
- Truth or Square is a game created by SpongeBob SquarePants.
- Special Edition Star Wars Starfighter
- Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Episode III)
- The Clone Wars is a prequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast is a sequel to Star Wars Jedi Knight.
- Thrillville: Off the Rails is a game about a town that has gone off the rails.
- Pilot Project in Time
- TimeSplitters 2 is a sequel to TimeSplitters.
- Future Perfect: TimeSplitters
- It’s Toy Story Time!
- Flames of Judgment: Vandal Hearts
- Viva Piata: Animals of the Party
- Avatar: The Last Airbender – The Burning Earth
- Billiards 2: Bankshot
- Katamari is a lovely creature.
- Domain of Binary
- Doug Williams’ Black College Football Xperience Ed
- Clyde cloning
- Ultimate Dead or Alive
- 3rd installment of Dead or Alive
- Dead or Alive 4 is a sequel to Dead or Alive 3.
- The Cube’s Death
- Disney Universe is a fictional universe created by Walt Disney
- Chicken Little is a Disney animated film.
- Destruction Elements
- Project Origin in F.E.A.R. 2
- F.E.A.R. 3 is the third installment of the F.E.A.R. series.
- The Files of F.E.A.R.
- The Templars’ First Order
Microsoft has also revealed the first trailer for the Halo TV series, which will premiere in 2022 on Paramount+. In addition, Halo Infinite’s multiplayer is now available on Xbox One and PC.
The “how to play xbox 360 games on xbox one” is a news article that discusses the future of Microsoft’s backward compatibility program. The article states that Microsoft will be releasing their last update for Xbox One in December.
- xbox one backwards compatibility improvements
- xbox backwards compatibility stopped
- xbox backwards compatibility coming soon
- original xbox backwards compatibility
- can you play xbox one games on xbox series s